Dear Friends at First,
On this sunny Wednesday, I am aware of God’s gifts of birds’ songs and nest building, budding trees, and courageous little spring flowers that survived through Monday’s snow and several frosty nights. I stop and give thanks for these wonderful signs of life and renewal!
On to a few highlights and information from this week’s Church Board meeting by Zoom…..
1. Our aim is to have a full time intentional interim minister hired and with us this Fall (beginning Sep./Oct.) This means that our nominating committee will talking to folks about the possibility of being on our Transition Team. The board will vote on this team and they will begin their work with the job description and interviewing possible candidates. This team remains in place working with the minister and the congregation for the 2 yr. of this minister being with us.
2. There was thoughtful discussion time spent on several other important issues surrounding looking at a possible phased-in approach to return to Church(when the time is right!) and what ministry might look like moving forward. We will update you on this at appropriate times.
3. Speaking of mInistries at First United - We’re all in this together! Every encouraging phone call you make or thoughtful message you send is part of being in community together.
There are many ways to be involved. Many we are already doing and more creative possibilities are just about ready to pop or are waiting for us to discover!.
For example - Have you noticed that for the past few weeks, the Prayers of the People has been written by a member of the congregation? One week, you might be asked or volunteer!
- Other folks have shared their musical gifts during the services.
- Folks of all ages could contribute their art, a photograph, a poem.
- You might video yourself reading the scripture.
*** The above involve being in touch with Eva, of course!
- You might like to contribute a quotation, poem, or words of a song that boosts your spirit or helps remind us how to be in community. This would be a great addition to First’s Friday Letter. A little inspiration goes a long way!
*** Let Lynne or Eva know!
***We decided at the meeting to try a new project as a pilot at First for the next few weeks!
Because of the virus, our Little Libraries are closed for books until the WPL opens again so…. we thought we would change them into Little Pantries of canned food! People are free to take a can for a meal or contribute cans for others.The pantries will need to be checked every day!! Want to be part of helping this community ministry come alive and be viable? Send Lynne Blake-Dickson an email at email@example.com.
We are not alone. Thanks be to God.
April Year to Date
General Fund Local $15,117.00 $61,100.26
Other Operations 6,590.57 28,272.76
Mission & Outreach 3,544.00 15,538.00
TOTAL INCOME 25,251.57 104,911.02
TOTAL EXPENSES 34,631.06 148,842.61
EXCESS INCOME\EXPENSES ($9,379.49) ($43,931.59)
Capital Income 1,056.20 34,763.22
Capital Expenses 94.88 16,616.48
CAPITAL EXCESS INC\EXP $961.32 $18,146.74
Thanks everyone for your continued support and please do not forget our Easter collection that supports Supportive Housing of Waterloo, Rainbow Camp and the Skylight Festival.
Just a reminder about offering during this time of physical distance.
To get your offering to the office you can use PAR, e transfer, website donation www.firstunitedchurch.ca or send a cheque. Checks can be dropped off at the church mailbox which is located at the Entrance on the William Street side of the building.
Also you may send your cheque to
First United Church
16 William St. West
Reminder, credit card companies have a fee of around 3-5%. If you wish First to get the full amount, then please add that percentage to your contribution.
You can join us online at 10:30 am through First United's website https://www.firstunitedchurch.ca